Kollekt invites communities to be a part of the solution in addressing our Planet’s waste challenge by increasing recycling rates and preventing wastes from ending up in our seas. Through our iOS and Android applications, people can photograph and categorize wastes, dispose them in selected containers or notify Municipalities.
Here’s how it works:
- Opt in to use the Kollekt platform. (By opting in you are allowing the waste data you collect to be used towards creating a litter-free world. We’ll explain how we’re using that data below.)
- Register to the Kollekt mobile application via email or Facebook/Google Login.
- Once you’ve created an account, take a picture of a piece of waste, Kollekt will help you locate the suitable containers to dispose of it correctly. On the other hand, you can also send a notification to the related municipality.
- Add descriptive waste type tags to the photo. We will provide a default library of waste types.
- Photos are automatically geotagged (as long as your phone’s Location Services are “on”).
- Photos are automatically uploaded into the Kollekt’s own database.
Who can participate?
Users of the Kollekt mobile application and technology who are 13 years old or older.
Why are we collecting data?
Our goal is to be completely transparent regarding our privacy and data strategies. Here's a point by point outline of what information we gather, how it's put away, how we may utilize it, and your rights.
- Email - When you register we collect your email address so that we can contact you if needed.
- Password - We don’t store your password, only a secure hash of the password.
- Name Surname - Name that is associated with your user profile.
- Birth Date, Gender and Nationality (optional) – When you register you can manage your profile by adding birthdate, gender and nationality
- Join Date - We keep the date that you joined Kollekt so that you know how long you’ve been part of the Kollekt community.
- User ID - Unique ID associated with your user profile.
- Device ID - We store the manufacturer, model, and OS of your mobile phone so that we can help troubleshoot any bugs specific to a particular phone.
- Location - In Kollekt 1.0 (the first version of our mobile application), we automatically locate your location and help you to find the nearest waste container (as long as your phone’s Location Services are “on”).
- The information of the user within the scope of the application can only be disclosed to official authorities if this information is requested by official authorities in accordance with the provisions of the mandatory legislation.
- For further information, you can contact us via email@example.com or you can visit our website www.kollektapp.org.
- Photos - Images you take using the Kollekt application, or photos uploaded from your native camera application to the Kollekt application.
- Timestamp - We have a specific time associated with each photo. This information includes the date, hour, second, and millisecond (e.g., 2018-03-22 15:13:49.496+00).
- Location - While we do have the location of photos you’ve taken, we do not store any location data for you or anyone in the Kollekt community.
How are we storing data?
We use an encrypted database that is hidden behind MongoDB Cloud Database which contains multiple layers of encryption. Our database system has delete feature; meaning that we can delete or anonymize any individual’s data upon request.
How might we use that data?
We believe that the best way to solve the global waste problem is to first understand it. We will use your location data to define waste hotspots and develop strategies to minimize the wastes in these hotspots.
An Email Newsletter:
Occasionally we will send you updates on our progress, new product features, partnerships, and things we’re generally excited about. Of course, you may opt-out at any time.
What data rights do you have?
- You have the right to delete your personal information. When you request that we delete your personal information, we take several steps:
- Delete your name
- Delete your email address
- Delete your device ID
- You have the right to access any data that you provide to Kollekt.
- You have the right to take your data with you. This is commonly referred to as “The Right to Portability.”
How do you exercise your data rights?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “DATA RIGHTS” and let us know if you’d like your personal information deleted. We’ll ensure your requests are met and completed within the required 30 days.